The 10 best convertible car seats designed to keep your child safe and comfortable from infancy through toddler years and for many years to come.
It’s easy to acquire much baby gear. So when you find a product that functions as multiple baby items all packaged in one, then, you feel like a winner. Not just by saving space, but also by saving money. The Convertible car seats do exactly that.
An infant car seat begins in a rear-facing position, then you can switch the convertible seat to a front-facing position for toddlers, typically older than two-years-old. Many of the convertible car seats are designed to be used as a booster seat for school-age children. If you are planning on reusing your convertible seat for your second and third child, then the older children can use a separate booster seat to optimize back-seat space. Nonetheless, the convertible car seat will take your child from day one through preschool years and beyond.
Do You Need a Convertible Car Seat? If Yes, then When?
Some parents choose to use an infant car seat initially and then transition over to a convertible car seat later on. The reason is the convertible car seats are usually heavier and larger than infant car seats. So, they are not easily transferred from the car or carried around like an infant car seat.
However, eventually, your infant will outgrow his infant seat and will switch over to a convertible car seat. If your baby will frequently ride around in more than one vehicle, then you might want to buy multiple car seats to be left in each vehicle. The reason is transferring a convertible car seat and setting it correctly or relying on your babysitter to install it correctly may cause safety concerns!
What To Look for in a Convertible Car Seat?
First of all, all car seats must meet the same government safety standards. Nonetheless, some car seats come with extra perks or can be used for a longer period. So, here are some factors to keep in mind when selecting a convertible car seat:
- Does it fit in your car: Car seats range in size and shape. Some are wider or narrower than others. The number of car seats installed in the back seat can be a challenge in a small sedan?
- How easy is it to install: Many car seats can be installed using the regular seat belt or the LATCH system, which is an easier way to secure the car seat using built-in anchors and tethers.
- Material: Besides looking for a style of fabric that suits your taste, consider its durability and how well it will maintain its look after many years of use.
- Ease of cleaning: You will keep this seat for many years, so ease of cleaning is a must.
- Safety indicators: Choosing a car seat that comes with a built-in leveling system and indicators to signal correct installation adds that extra peace of mind.
- Safety extras: Some car seats include additional shock absorption, padding, and materials that are of higher quality.
- New vs used car seats: Used car seats may not meet current government safety standards and could have damage from previous incidents. It’s best to buy new if possible, but if you do end up selecting a used car seat make sure it’s from someone you trust so you know what it’s been through.
- Recalls: Stay informed on possible recalls and check the model’s expiration date. And yes, car seats do expire. The expiration date is printed someplace on the seat or you can find it in the owner’s manual.
Here are the ten best convertible car seats your baby will love
Infant Nuna Rava(TM) Flame Retardant Free Convertible Car Seat, Size One Size - Pink
DETAILS & CARE
Made without fire-retardant chemicals, this convertible car seat provides a safe, comfortable haven for your little one from birth through toddlerhood. The adjustable style allows kids up to 50 pounds to ride back-facing longer than many other seats do.
Why parents will love it: The harness adjusts with one hand to keep up with inevitable growth spurts, and the seat offers 10-position recline and head support, so it's easy to find just the right position. The style is aircraft-certified and simple to install, so it can travel right along with you. And for extra peace of mind, it is free of flame-retardant chemicals, so you won't have to worry about their long-term effects on your child.
Why kids will love it: Designed to provide up to two additional inches of legroom when rear-facing and extra support for forward-facing riders. Flip-open cupholders—one at each side—keep beverages and snacks within reach, then fold out of the way when not in use. Ventilation panels help to ensure baby doesn't wake up sweaty and cranky during longer trips.
Child weight/height: 5–50 lb. rear-facing; 25–65 lb. forward-facing; up to 49".
Car seat weight/dimensions: 25" x 16" x 19".
Safety features: Energy-absorbing foam and SIP (Side Impact Protection) pods offer side-impact protection; all-steel frame and reinforced belt path for superior protection.
Harness: No rethread; five-point harness adjusts with one hand.
Car installation: Simply™ secure installation makes life even easier with recline-angle guides that clearly confirm the perfect riding angle. Colored belt-path indicators help prevent strap-threading errors.
Stroller compatibility: N/A
Head and body inserts are removable
Energy-absorbing and side-impact-protection pods
Machine-washable knit fabric; easy-to-clean seat pad
Graco 4Ever Extend2Fit Platinum 4-in-1 Car Seat, Hayden
- EZ Tight Latch provides a secure and simple installation with 3 easy steps: Release and attach Latch, retract the EZ Tight Latch and push on center of seat to tighten
- 6-position recline helps keep your growing child comfy on your many journeys together
- Extend2Fit 4-position extension panel adjusts to provide 5 inch additional leg room allowing your child to safely ride rear-facing longer
- Up to 50 pounds rear-facing allowing your child to safely ride rear-facing longer
- 6-position recline helps keep your child comfy
Baby Jogger City View All-in-One Convertible Car Seat -
Take back your back seat with City View Space Saving All-in-One car seat! Its narrow design makes space for you and your little one so you're ready for any adventure. 3 ways to ride allow the seat to grow with your child from 5-100lb. Color: Azul.
Infant Cybex Sirona M Sensorsafe(TM) 2.0 Convertible Car Seat, Size One Size - Blue
$263.95 in stock
DETAILS & CARE
This car seat offers state-of-the-art safety protection and comfort your little one will love, so you get peace of mind when traveling with your precious cargo.
Why parents will love it: With advanced safety features and an easy installation, this convertible car seat monitors the well-being of your little one through the smart chest clip that syncs with the installed vehicle receiver and your smartphone.
Why kids will love it: The 10-position reclining backrest with one-hand recline for rear-facing and forward-facing installations and premium fabrics mean your child will always be traveling in comfort.
Child weight/height: Suitable from birth up to 49" tall and 65 lb. Rear facing from 5–40 lb.; Forward Facing from 22–65 lb. or 49". Includes removable newborn insert.
Car seat weight/dimensions: 24.7 lb.; 21.5" x 20" x 25" .
Safety features: The five-point harness takes safety to the next level with a chest clip featuring SensorSafe 2.0 technology, which communicates with you via a receiver you insert into your vehicle's OBD-II port (it also connects to your smartphone) that alerts you when unsafe conditions arise. An EPS foam-lined energy-absorbing shell helps absorb the forces of impact to protect your child, while Linear Side-Impact Protection (L.S.P.) absorbs 25% more force in a side-impact collision.
Harness: 12-position height adjustable headrest with integrated no-thread, five-point harness for protection that grows with your child.
Car installation: Innovative on-pull LATCH system for easy installation and removal from the vehicle seat. Dual Level Indicator shows correct seat angle in both rear- and forward-facing positions.
Stroller compatibility: N/A.
SensorSafe 2.0 alerts you when child unbuckles the chest clip while still in motion; if child is seated for a prolonged period of time; if the temperature gets too hot or cold; or if child is still buckled in the car seat after you leave the vehicle, and notifies emergency contacts if no action is taken, sharing your location.
Download the free SensorSafe 2.0 app which also provides guidance on installation, how-to videos, FAQs and more. The app can be downloaded for Android and iOS.
Magnetic buckle holders for easy in and out
Removable cup holder can be positioned on either side; dishwasher safe
Certified for aircraft use
Removable, hand-washable polyester fabric
Graco 4Ever 4 in 1 Convertible Car Seat | Infant to Toddler Car Seat, with 10 Years of Use, Studio
- 4 in 1 Graco car seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- Forward facing toddler car seat from 22 to 65 pounds
- Booster seats in high back belt positioning mode from 30 to 100 pounds and backless belt positioning mode from 40 to 120 pounds
- InRight LATCH system for an Easy, 1 second LATCH attachment
Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat -
The Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat offers superior safety for your child. The patented ClickTight Installation System makes installation as easy as buckling a seatbelt. SafeCell Impact Protection surrounds your child in safety components that work together to help protect your child....
Infant Nuna Exec(TM) All-In-One Car Seat, Size One Size - Black (Nordstrom Exclusive)
DETAILS & CARE
This all-in-one car seat cleverly converts from rear- to forward-facing to booster mode and is usable from 5 to 120 lb. With an adjustable anti-rebound panel and leg-rest combination, it provides a first chance at first class.
Why parents will love it: Washable covers make for easy cleanup, and its compact size allows it to fit three across in most mid-size vehicles.
Why kids will love it: The little ones will have space to move with extended leg room while rear-facing and extra support when facing forward. They'll enjoy comfortable features like 8 reclining positions, 12-position head support, dual flip-open cupholders, ventilation panels and breathable knit fabric—making even the longest trips easier.
Child weight/height: 5–50 lb. rear-facing with seat belt; 5–35 lb. rear-facing with lower anchor belt; 25–65 lb. forward-facing with seat belt; 25–40 lb. forward-facing with lower anchor belt; 40–120 lb. or 38–57" in booster mode.
Car seat weight/dimensions: 26–33" x 18.5" x 22.5".
Safety features: Aeroflex™ side impact protection pods; energy-absorbing EPP foam; all steel frame and reinforced belt path for superior protection; no added fire-retardant chemicals; aircraft-certified.
Harness: No rethread five-point harness works with one hand and includes magnet harness keepers. Harness easily stores inside the seat for booster mode, and spring touch shoulder belt guides aid in proper belt routing for big kids.
Car installation: Simple instructions allow you to install with confidence every time. Muscle-free True tension™ doors ensure an ultra-secure fit without the struggle.
Stroller compatibility: N/A.
Includes merino wool body and head inserts, additional GOTS-certified organic-cotton insert and quilted slip cover
Steel/plastic/EPP foam/merino wool/textile
Seat cover, infant insert and harness covers are machine washable
Britax One4Life ClickTight All-in-One Car Seat - 10 Years of Use - Infant, Convertible, Booster - 5 to 120 pounds - SafeWash Fabric, Drift
$337.49 in stock
3 used from $310.49
- 10 years of use: New one4life convertible to booster car seat grows with your child from 5 to 120 pounds & up to 63 inch tall
- Install confidently: With a ClickTight installation, you'll know it's right in 3 easy steps
- One4life: Converts from rear facing infant car seat, to forward facing 5 point harness, to high back belt positioning booster
- Britax safety: High strength steel frame, crumple zone helps absorb crash energy and patented v shaped tether
- Full body protection: 2 layers of side impact protection surround the head, neck & torso
Chicco NextFit Sport Convertible Car Seat - Black
The #1-rated Chicco NextFit Sport Convertible Car Seat is engineered to surround your little one in comfort and safety, all the way to preschool and beyond. Reassuringly easy installation and user-friendly touchpoints simplify travel and everyday life, making it easier for families to go and...
Graco 4Ever 4 in 1 Car Seat featuring TrueShield Side Impact Technology
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest, in one motion, to help ensure that your child is always properly secured
- One-hand, 10-position adjustable headrest is easy to use and adjusts to properly fit your growing child
- Washable seat cover is easy to remove without removing the harness
- The Graco exclusive InRight LATCH attachment provides an easy, one-second attachment with an audible click to help ensure secure installation
- Steel-reinforced frame provides strength and durability for years of smart utility
Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat, Verve
$279.99 in stock
The Marathon ClickTight® Convertible Car Seat features the revolutionary ClickTight Installation System, making installation as easy as buckling a seatbelt. SafeCell Impact Protection surrounds your child in safety components that work together to protect beyond the established federal safety...
Graco Extend2Fit 3 in 1 Car Seat | Ride Rear Facing Longer with Extend2Fit, featuring TrueShield Side Impact Technology, Ion
2 used from $234.41
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System headrest and Harness adjust together
- One-hand, 10-position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child
- 6-position recline helps keep your growing child comfy on your many journeys together
- Fuss Free harness storage holds the buckle out of the way, so it’s easy to get baby in and out
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, one-second LATCH attachment
Graco Grows4Me 4-in-1 Car Seat- West Point
$179.99 in stock
3 used from $165.59
- 4 seats in 1: 4-in-1 seat gives you 10 years of use--it seamlessly transforms from rear-facing harness (5-40 lb), to forward-facing harness (22-65 lb), to highback booster (40-100 lb), to backless booster (40-110 lb).
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System: Adjust the height of your harness and headrest to 10 positions in one motion to ensure that your child is always properly secured.
- 10-position Headrest: One-hand, 10-position adjustable headrest is easy to use and grows to properly fit your growing child.
- 6-position Recline: Helps keep your growing child comfy on your many journeys together.
- LATCH Equipped: For an easy installation.
Graco® 4Ever® Family Forward-Facing Seat Belt Installation with Belt Lock-Off
This video covers the steps for installation your Graco® 4Ever® family car seat forward-facing with the vehicle seat belt and integrated belt lock-off.