The 10 best convertible car seats designed to keep your child safe and comfortable from infancy through toddler years and for many years to come.
It’s easy to acquire much baby gear. So when you find a product that functions as multiple baby items all packaged in one, then, you feel like a winner. Not just by saving space, but also by saving money. The Convertible car seats do exactly that.
An infant car seat begins in a rear-facing position, then you can switch the convertible seat to a front-facing position for toddlers, typically older than two-years-old. Many of the convertible car seats are designed to be used as a booster seat for school-age children. If you are planning on reusing your convertible seat for your second and third child, then the older children can use a separate booster seat to optimize back-seat space. Nonetheless, the convertible car seat will take your child from day one through preschool years and beyond.
Do You Need a Convertible Car Seat? If Yes, then When?
Some parents choose to use an infant car seat initially and then transition over to a convertible car seat later on. The reason is the convertible car seats are usually heavier and larger than infant car seats. So, they are not easily transferred from the car or carried around like an infant car seat.
However, eventually, your infant will outgrow his infant seat and will switch over to a convertible car seat. If your baby will frequently ride around in more than one vehicle, then you might want to buy multiple car seats to be left in each vehicle. The reason is transferring a convertible car seat and setting it correctly or relying on your babysitter to install it correctly may cause safety concerns!
What To Look for in a Convertible Car Seat?
First of all, all car seats must meet the same government safety standards. Nonetheless, some car seats come with extra perks or can be used for a longer period. So, here are some factors to keep in mind when selecting a convertible car seat:
- Does it fit in your car: Car seats range in size and shape. Some are wider or narrower than others. The number of car seats installed in the back seat can be a challenge in a small sedan?
- How easy is it to install: Many car seats can be installed using the regular seat belt or the LATCH system, which is an easier way to secure the car seat using built-in anchors and tethers.
- Material: Besides looking for a style of fabric that suits your taste, consider its durability and how well it will maintain its look after many years of use.
- Ease of cleaning: You will keep this seat for many years, so ease of cleaning is a must.
- Safety indicators: Choosing a car seat that comes with a built-in leveling system and indicators to signal correct installation adds that extra peace of mind.
- Safety extras: Some car seats include additional shock absorption, padding, and materials that are of higher quality.
- New vs used car seats: Used car seats may not meet current government safety standards and could have damage from previous incidents. It’s best to buy new if possible, but if you do end up selecting a used car seat make sure it’s from someone you trust so you know what it’s been through.
- Recalls: Stay informed on possible recalls and check the model’s expiration date. And yes, car seats do expire. The expiration date is printed someplace on the seat or you can find it in the owner’s manual.
Here are the ten best convertible car seats your baby will love
Infant Nuna Rava(TM) Flame Retardant Free Convertible Car Seat, Size One Size - Pink
DETAILS & CARE
Made without fire-retardant chemicals, this convertible car seat provides a safe, comfortable haven for your little one from birth through toddlerhood. The adjustable style allows kids up to 50 pounds to ride back-facing longer than many other seats do.
Why parents will love it: The harness adjusts with one hand to keep up with inevitable growth spurts, and the seat offers 10-position recline and head support, so it's easy to find just the right position. The style is aircraft-certified and simple to install, so it can travel right along with you. And for extra peace of mind, it is free of flame-retardant chemicals, so you won't have to worry about their long-term effects on your child.
Why kids will love it: Designed to provide up to two additional inches of legroom when rear-facing and extra support for forward-facing riders. Flip-open cupholders—one at each side—keep beverages and snacks within reach, then fold out of the way when not in use. Ventilation panels help to ensure baby doesn't wake up sweaty and cranky during longer trips.
Child weight/height: 5–50 lb. rear-facing; 25–65 lb. forward-facing; up to 49".
Car seat weight/dimensions: 25" x 16" x 19".
Safety features: Energy-absorbing foam and SIP (Side Impact Protection) pods offer side-impact protection; all-steel frame and reinforced belt path for superior protection.
Harness: No rethread; five-point harness adjusts with one hand.
Car installation: Simply™ secure installation makes life even easier with recline-angle guides that clearly confirm the perfect riding angle. Colored belt-path indicators help prevent strap-threading errors.
Stroller compatibility: N/A
Head and body inserts are removable
Energy-absorbing and side-impact-protection pods
Machine-washable knit fabric; easy-to-clean seat pad
Safety 1st Jive 2-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Harvest Moon
$79.99 in stock
- Instant pot silic1 lid creates an airtight, spill proof and watertight seal on the instant pot stainless steel inner pot
- Manufactured from the highest quality food safe silicone, passed FDA and LFGB tests for safety, including food safety
- Genuine instant pot multi use programmable pressure cooker accessory
- Bpa free and dishwasher safe
- Genuine instant pot multi use programmable pressure cooker silicone lid designed for the 5 or 6 quart, ip duo50, ip duo60, ip lux50, ip lux60, ip lux60v3, smart 60, ultra 6, ip csg60 and ip csg50
Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat -
The Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat offers superior safety for your child. The patented ClickTight Installation System makes installation as easy as buckling a seatbelt. SafeCell Impact Protection surrounds your child in safety components that work together to help protect your child....
Infant Cybex Sirona M Sensorsafe(TM) 2.0 Convertible Car Seat, Size One Size - Blue
$263.95 in stock
DETAILS & CARE
This car seat offers state-of-the-art safety protection and comfort your little one will love, so you get peace of mind when traveling with your precious cargo.
Why parents will love it: With advanced safety features and an easy installation, this convertible car seat monitors the well-being of your little one through the smart chest clip that syncs with the installed vehicle receiver and your smartphone.
Why kids will love it: The 10-position reclining backrest with one-hand recline for rear-facing and forward-facing installations and premium fabrics mean your child will always be traveling in comfort.
Child weight/height: Suitable from birth up to 49" tall and 65 lb. Rear facing from 5–40 lb.; Forward Facing from 22–65 lb. or 49". Includes removable newborn insert.
Car seat weight/dimensions: 24.7 lb.; 21.5" x 20" x 25" .
Safety features: The five-point harness takes safety to the next level with a chest clip featuring SensorSafe 2.0 technology, which communicates with you via a receiver you insert into your vehicle's OBD-II port (it also connects to your smartphone) that alerts you when unsafe conditions arise. An EPS foam-lined energy-absorbing shell helps absorb the forces of impact to protect your child, while Linear Side-Impact Protection (L.S.P.) absorbs 25% more force in a side-impact collision.
Harness: 12-position height adjustable headrest with integrated no-thread, five-point harness for protection that grows with your child.
Car installation: Innovative on-pull LATCH system for easy installation and removal from the vehicle seat. Dual Level Indicator shows correct seat angle in both rear- and forward-facing positions.
Stroller compatibility: N/A.
SensorSafe 2.0 alerts you when child unbuckles the chest clip while still in motion; if child is seated for a prolonged period of time; if the temperature gets too hot or cold; or if child is still buckled in the car seat after you leave the vehicle, and notifies emergency contacts if no action is taken, sharing your location.
Download the free SensorSafe 2.0 app which also provides guidance on installation, how-to videos, FAQs and more. The app can be downloaded for Android and iOS.
Magnetic buckle holders for easy in and out
Removable cup holder can be positioned on either side; dishwasher safe
Certified for aircraft use
Removable, hand-washable polyester fabric
Britax Boulevard ClickTight Convertible Car Seat | 2 Layer Impact Protection - Rear & Forward Facing - 5 to 65 Pounds, Circa
- Easy installation: Patented click tight makes car seat installation as simple as buckling a seat belt
- No rethreading, ever: Quick adjust 14 position harness with click and safe, snug indicator gives a click sound when the harness is tight
- Adjust accurately: Harness indicator gives an audible click when you’ve pulled to the proper tightness. Shoulder Width:16 inch
- Surrounded in safety: 2 layers of side impact protection, steel frame and impact absorbing base
- Fits: Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds and forward facing 20 to 65 pounds; dimensions: 23 x 18.5 x 23.5 inches (LxWxH)
Infant Nuna Exec(TM) All-In-One Car Seat, Size One Size - Black (Nordstrom Exclusive)
DETAILS & CARE
This all-in-one car seat cleverly converts from rear- to forward-facing to booster mode and is usable from 5 to 120 lb. With an adjustable anti-rebound panel and leg-rest combination, it provides a first chance at first class.
Why parents will love it: Washable covers make for easy cleanup, and its compact size allows it to fit three across in most mid-size vehicles.
Why kids will love it: The little ones will have space to move with extended leg room while rear-facing and extra support when facing forward. They'll enjoy comfortable features like 8 reclining positions, 12-position head support, dual flip-open cupholders, ventilation panels and breathable knit fabric—making even the longest trips easier.
Child weight/height: 5–50 lb. rear-facing with seat belt; 5–35 lb. rear-facing with lower anchor belt; 25–65 lb. forward-facing with seat belt; 25–40 lb. forward-facing with lower anchor belt; 40–120 lb. or 38–57" in booster mode.
Car seat weight/dimensions: 26–33" x 18.5" x 22.5".
Safety features: Aeroflex™ side impact protection pods; energy-absorbing EPP foam; all steel frame and reinforced belt path for superior protection; no added fire-retardant chemicals; aircraft-certified.
Harness: No rethread five-point harness works with one hand and includes magnet harness keepers. Harness easily stores inside the seat for booster mode, and spring touch shoulder belt guides aid in proper belt routing for big kids.
Car installation: Simple instructions allow you to install with confidence every time. Muscle-free True tension™ doors ensure an ultra-secure fit without the struggle.
Stroller compatibility: N/A.
Includes merino wool body and head inserts, additional GOTS-certified organic-cotton insert and quilted slip cover
Steel/plastic/EPP foam/merino wool/textile
Seat cover, infant insert and harness covers are machine washable
Graco Admiral 65 Convertible Car Seat, Studio
- Designed to help protect your rear facing child from 5 40 pounds and your forward facing child from 22 65 pounds
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the harness and headrest height together with one easy motion no re threading required
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps to protect your child in frontal, side, rear & rollover crashes; additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program and for extreme car interior temperatures
- 8 position headrest is adjustable using one hand and easily adapts to your growing child's needs
- Hassle free installation in the rear facing position using LATCH and an easy to read level indicator
Chicco NextFit Sport Convertible Car Seat - Black
The #1-rated Chicco NextFit Sport Convertible Car Seat is engineered to surround your little one in comfort and safety, all the way to preschool and beyond. Reassuringly easy installation and user-friendly touchpoints simplify travel and everyday life, making it easier for families to go and...
Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat, Peach Amber
- 3-in-1 convertible car seat: Rear-facing, from 4-40 pounds; Forward-facing to 65 pounds; And up to 100 pounds in booster mode
- Side Impact protection technology with GCell protects your child's head where it's needed most in a side impact crash
- In and out harness holders keep straps out of the way when buckling
- One click Latch system, with easy click-in for better installation
- Quick fit shoulder harness automatically raises the harness and headrest height
Cosco Apt 50 Convertible Car Seat, Vibrant Blue
$59.99 in stock
- Rear facing 5 to 40 pounds and 19 to 40 inches height
- Forward facing 22 to 50 pounds and 29 to 43 inches height
- Side Impact Protection
- Machine washable seat pad for quick and easy cleanup
- 5 point center front adjust harness
Safety 1st Grow and Go All-in-One Convertible Car Seat, Carbon Rose
- Stainless steel inner cooking pot, food grade 304 (18/8), no chemical coating
- 3-ply bottom for even heat distribution
- Markings at 1/2 and 2/3 for pressure cooking safety
- Polished surface for easy cleaning, food sticks less to surface
- Dishwasher Safe
Graco® 4Ever® Family Forward-Facing Seat Belt Installation with Belt Lock-Off
This video covers the steps for installation your Graco® 4Ever® family car seat forward-facing with the vehicle seat belt and integrated belt lock-off.